Khulna is the 10th largest city in BD, and the administrative seat of Khulna District and Khulna Division,
The city has an estimated population of 1.022 million people in a 2014 census.
Khulna is located on the bank of Rupsha and Bhairav river, and located on the southern part of Bangladesh.
The city has a port on the banks and is considered a hub of Bangladeshi industry, which hosts many national companies.
Khulna is served by Port of Mongla (the second-largest seaport in the country), and is one of the two principal naval-command centres of the Bangladesh Navy.
The city is also part of the Ganges Delta, the world’s largest river delta.
Khulna is home to the Sundarbans, the world’s largest mangrove forest, which is located in the southern part of the delta. It’s considered the lungs of Bangladesh.
It’s also home to the Mosque City of Bagerhat, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Khulna is considered an important river port and produce-collection and trade centre. It’s connected by riverboat, road and rail to the major cities within the region.
The forest products from the Sundarbans supply Khulna’s textile, paper and board mills as well as its match and newsprint factories. However, this leads to the deforestation of the Sundarbans and at risk of being lost, especially with climate change.
The city also produces steel, cables, milled rice and flour.
The city is home to Khulna University of Engineering and Technology, and Khulna University.
The division itself was part of the ancient kingdoms of Vanga or Samatata. Then it became part of the Sena dynasty during the 12th century reign of Ballala Sena and formed part of the Bagri division of Bengal.
It was previously called Jalalabad.
During the 14th century, Shamsuddin Firoz Shah was the first Muslim ruler to come to the city. Muslim settlements increased and shrines were established.
Khan Jahan Ali, a Muslim saint acquired a large portion of the Khulna Division during the 15th century.
After his death, Khulna became part of the Sultanate of Bengal again.
Khulna remained under the rule of autonomous rulers of Bengal until 1793 when it was taken control by the British East India Company.
The city became part of the Jessore District in 1842 and became the headquarters of the Khulna District in 1882.
It was then constituted as a municipality in 1884.
During the Liberation War, the Pakistani Army created 314th ad hoc brigade to hold on to Khulna.
The Mukti Bahini fighters in Khulna were part of sector 8 under the command of Major Abu Osman Chowdhury and later, under Major Mohammad Abdul Monjur.