- 3 cup water
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup dry milk
- 2 ½ tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp semolina/suji
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- ½ cup liquid milk
- Pinch of red food
- Oil for deep frying
1. In a deep pan add water and sugar to make the syrup. Bring to boil about 5 mins. Then turn off and keep aside on the stove.
2. In a bowl mix all dry the ingredients with ghee. Mix milk, food coloring and slowly add the dry ingredients until it is made into a dough. The dough will be a little moist, not completely dry. Make the dough into long shapes, about 10-12 pieces.
3. Heat the pan on medium with oil for deep fry. When I say deep fry that means enough oil to dip the sweet while frying. To check if the oil is ready put a little piece of dough in it. If it sizzles and the dough comes up slowly, then, the oil is ready.
4. When oil is ready (don’t make oil too hot, slowly fry them in medium heat) put the sweet in the oil with care and fry it on all sides till it becomes dark brown.
5. Take out the sweet from the oil and straight put into lukewarm syrup. Repeat the same step for rest of the sweets.
6. Once all kalo jaams are in syrup boil kalo jaam in syrup for high 5 mins and then low 5 mins close lid. Turn off stove and let it sit for at least 3 hours.
7. Take out the sweets from syrup and roll in mawa.
8. Serve in your favorite dish.